Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Another Fasting Meal, Super-quick and REALLY good!

One of the meals I had planned for last week was postponed, because we attended a wonderful St. Barbara's Day Bonfire last Wednesday night. You can read about it here.

I was able to make that meal last night, and I have to say it is hands-down my new favorite fasting meal! It even has a vegetable in it that the kids didn't complain about. The best part is that you only need the time it takes to boil pasta! (Sorry to those with peanut allergies, but this is a dish with nuts.)

Spirals with Peanut Sauce

12 oz. uncooked spiral pasta (rotini)
water for boiling
2/3 c. natural creamy peanut butter (no sugar added)
3/4 c. water
3-4 T. soy sauce
2 T. white vinegar
1 green onion, coarsely chopped
1 T. honey or rice syrup
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 1/2 c. frozen green peas, thawed to room temperature

Prepare pasta in boiling water according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients, except peas, in food processor or blender. Process until smooth. When pasta is done, drain well and place in large serving bowl. Add peas and sauce. Stir to thoroughly combine. Serve hot.

Recipe Note: The sauce thickens as it stands. If it sits too long, mix in more water before serving, or before serving leftovers. Serve with hot pepper sauce, if desired.

This served all 5 of us, and there was enough left over for my lunch today!

5 comments:

Pres. Kathy said...

This recipe sounds delicious! I will have to try it this week. Thank You!!! If you get a chance, take a look at my blog for a giveaway.

Seraphima said...

This sounds very good,I'll put it on my menu for next week. Thanks for sharing it!

Anna said...

sounds good - I am going to have to try this one!

Erin said...

Thanks Ashley for this great recipe! We enjoyed it tonight and I posted it on my fasting blog this evening, giving you all the credit! We'll definitely repeat this one.
whenwefast.blogspot.com

Monica said...

Think I'll put this on next week's menu - thanks for sharing.

By the way, the graphic on your heading reminds me of a newsletter we receive from a beloved monastery, so I'm wondering if you are familiar with it too, or if this is just a common picture.